Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pallavi_r
Helper II
Helper II

MS Fabric - App workspace creation is disabled

Hi Everyone,

Have a basic question. I have created F2 Sku capacity. I am using Power BI free license.

Now I wanted to some data engineering task for which I need to create a project workspace and attach this new F2 sku capacity with the workspace.

I am not able to access Power BI admin Portal Setting. And also while creating new workspace, it shows app workspace creation is disabled.

1st question - How to make myself admin for this fabric workspace and tenant setting

2nd question - how to enable workspace creation

3rd question - Do I need a Power BI pro license for #1 & 2 (for synapse de and dwh work). Power BI reporting - I have not started yet.

Please provide your inputs.

Thanks,

Pallavi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pallavi_r ,

Thanks for the reply from Greg_Deckler .

To access the admin portal you need a Fabric license. The admin portal can be accessed by admins with the following roles:

Global administrator

Power Platform administrator

Fabric administrator

For more information about the admin portal, please see:

What is the Microsoft Fabric admin portal? - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

You can assign administrators in the Microsoft 365 Management Portal or through PowerShell.

Please refer to the two documents below for more information on how to do this:

Assign admin roles the Microsoft 365 admin center - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

Assign roles to Microsoft 365 user accounts with PowerShell - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft L...

By default all Pro and above users can create Workspaces. Microsoft Fabric admins can use the Create workspaces (new workspace experience) setting to designate which users in the organization can create workspaces.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715063312964.png

For more detailed information, please refer to the official documentation below to learn more:

Workspace admin settings - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pallavi_r ,

Thanks for the reply from Greg_Deckler .

To access the admin portal you need a Fabric license. The admin portal can be accessed by admins with the following roles:

Global administrator

Power Platform administrator

Fabric administrator

For more information about the admin portal, please see:

What is the Microsoft Fabric admin portal? - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

You can assign administrators in the Microsoft 365 Management Portal or through PowerShell.

Please refer to the two documents below for more information on how to do this:

Assign admin roles the Microsoft 365 admin center - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

Assign roles to Microsoft 365 user accounts with PowerShell - Microsoft 365 Enterprise | Microsoft L...

By default all Pro and above users can create Workspaces. Microsoft Fabric admins can use the Create workspaces (new workspace experience) setting to designate which users in the organization can create workspaces.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715063312964.png

For more detailed information, please refer to the official documentation below to learn more:

Workspace admin settings - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pallavi_r Go into Azure Portal, select Entra ID and give your user the role of Fabric Administrator.  I'm not sure if you need a Pro license or not for those 2 steps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler , thanks for your reply. My issue for 2& 3 also got resolved with access permission level change in tenant setting. we don't need power bi pro for 2 & 3.

Thanks,

Pallavi

@pallavi_r That's what I suspected but nice to have confirmation!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors