Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mcarangelo
Regular Visitor

Help with a simple calculation please

I apologize in advance, but all I'm trying to do is calculate the difference between 2 columns and display the result of the calcuation. I've searched documentation, user posts etc. and nothing that clearly and consisely provides help. To be honest, it's not the most intuitive application in general. 

That being said, I attached a screenshot which shows the two fields I would like to calculate the difference and a screenshot of the "difference" field I attempted to create.

I thought there was an option to attach a file but I dont see anything. There appears to be link for videos, pictures and formatting but no basic attachment option.

Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcarangelo ,

Thanks for the reply from Greg_Deckler .

This is sample data that I created myself:

SalesA

SalesB

Create a measure:

Measure = MAX('Table'[SalesA]) - MAX('Table'[SalesB])

The page effect is as follows:

vhuijieymsft_0-1715232532584.png

The pbix file is attached.

You can share an image or file by uploading it to a cloud storage service (e.g. OneDrive, Google Drive) and sharing the link.

Please do not log in to your account in Power BI Desktop when uploading pbix files.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

The fields are in (2) different tables. Would I use the 'measures' option?

Hi @mcarangelo ,

Thanks for the reply from Anand24 .

Maybe you can try to convert Direct Query mode to Import mode.

On the status bar bottom right corner, there's a text that reads "Direct Query: On (Click Here To Change)", if you click that and pick Import, your model should start importing.

Note that this is currently a one way trip. i.e., an Import Model cannot be converted back to DirectQuery.

After I established the relationship between the two tables, it worked normally.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715672590351.png

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

@mcarangelo ,

Measure would be ideal since you are using fields from 2 separate tables. Even if it was from a single table, measure would be ideal since it doesn't increase data model size. 

One important point is that both your tables should have a relationship between them.

Can you attach a screenshot of your model view? Also, it will be great if you have sample data for both the tables.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

I used the suggestion above (to create a measure) and encountered an error message: "This query contains transformations that cant be used for direct query. " I included a screenshot below. 

mcarangelo_0-1715311079833.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@mcarangelo As a calculated column it should be:

Column = [Column 1] - [Column 2]

If a measure: 

Measure = SUM('Table'[Column 1]) - SUM('Table'[Column 2]

If instead these are columns in a visual that are already in a visual and they are measures:

Measure = [Measure 1] - [Measure 2]

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors