Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Elodie
Regular Visitor

update canceled from transform files

Hi everybody,

I have an update problem and I can't find the solution on the Internet.

I think I've made a big mistake and i can't fix it.

I'm using Power BI and made my changes on Power Query. 

Usually when I make a change in "transform sample file", it integrates the change directly into "transform file".

Elodie_2-1710766924950.png

but I seem to have deleted the direct update and I don't know how to put it back.

Does anyone know?
Many thanks in advance

Before :

Elodie_0-1710766766845.png

Now :

Elodie_1-1710766901273.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Elodie 

You can create a new function from "Transform Sample File" query and give the new function a different name from "Transform File", e.g. "newFunction". This new function will be binded to "Transform Sample File". 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1711445561754.pngvjingzhanmsft_4-1711446569244.png

Then modify the step "Invoke Custom Function1" in the main query to invoke this new function instead of the old "Transform file". The outcomes are in the column "Transform File". You can check the results in the tables. 

vjingzhanmsft_1-1711445929666.png

vjingzhanmsft_3-1711446166287.png

The old "Expanded xxxxxx" step may have some problem. You can remove that step and expand the table column "Transform File" manually. 

Reference: Relinking Transform Sample File query with function in Power Query? - Microsoft Community Hub

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You should have received a warning that this will happen.  There is no way to undo the break, you would have to start over.

However, you can also examine the code and then implement the same yourself. It will be much more efficient that way  (without reading the first file twice etc).

Thank you so much for your answer !

It's quite possible that I got a warning message and clicked too quickly without meaning to.

Could you please tell me which code I need to implement? and where i need to implement it ?

thank you !!

If you went through the code and can't yet fully follow what it does it might be quicker for you to start over.

it would be much simpler for me to integrate the code, I have 19 different folders to reload and about 50 measures to recreate if I have to start from scratch. As much as I can copy and paste the code to clean up my Power Query files, for the DAX formulas I'd have to start from scratch, which would take up an enormous amount of time

I can manage the code, I already tried to add "updatedquery" (found on a forum) but it didn't work.

Hi @Elodie 

You can create a new function from "Transform Sample File" query and give the new function a different name from "Transform File", e.g. "newFunction". This new function will be binded to "Transform Sample File". 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1711445561754.pngvjingzhanmsft_4-1711446569244.png

Then modify the step "Invoke Custom Function1" in the main query to invoke this new function instead of the old "Transform file". The outcomes are in the column "Transform File". You can check the results in the tables. 

vjingzhanmsft_1-1711445929666.png

vjingzhanmsft_3-1711446166287.png

The old "Expanded xxxxxx" step may have some problem. You can remove that step and expand the table column "Transform File" manually. 

Reference: Relinking Transform Sample File query with function in Power Query? - Microsoft Community Hub

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Hi again,

@v-jingzhan-msft 

thanks so much i am so relieved and very grateful that you took the time to write me this solution! thank you !

Glad it helps! You are welcome. 

Hi @v-jingzhan-msft 
Thank you so much for your reply !!!! I have just seen it !
II'm going to test your solution right away!
thanks again!
Best regards,
Elodie

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors