Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JBGyro
Regular Visitor

YTD and Previous YTD for projects with varying start dates

My team takes on customer projects throughout the year and I'd like to see how their sales change while working with us. Each project has it's own start date and I'd like to see sales for the 12 months leading up to that start date, and sales from the 12 months after the start date. I have those formulas below and they seem to be working. For projects that are less than 12 months old, the '12M Sales Since Start' formula works fine as a YTD calculation, but I'm having trouble using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR or any other command to find the Previous YTD for each project that is less than a year old.

12M Sales Up To Start = 

CALCULATE [Revenue], FILTER('DATE', 'DATE'[DATE] >= MIN('Projects'[StartDate]) -365 && 'DATE'[DATE] <= MAX( 'Projects'[StartDate] )))

12M Sales Since Start = 
CALCULATE[Revenue], FILTER('DATE', 'DATE'[DATE] >= MIN('Projects'[StartDate]) && 'DATE_START'[DATE] <= MAX( 'Projects'[StartDate] ) + 365))

I have a 'Projects' table listing customer name and project start date, which is related to the 'Date' table, which is related to the Sales table via the billing date. How can I use 'Projects'[StartDate] to mark the beginning of the "year" for each project? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JBGyro ,

Try this.

Measure 2 = 
VAR _a = MIN('Projects'[StartDate])
VAR _c = SELECTEDVALUE('Projects'[Name])
VAR _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Amount]),'Date'[Date] >= _a - 365  && 'Date'[Date] <= TODAY(),ALL('Projects'[StartDate]))
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(_c),BLANK(),_b)

vzhouwenmsft_0-1715217494619.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1715217511896.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Greg_Deckler , @MNedix ,thanks for the quick replies, I'll add further.

Hi @JBGyro ,

The Table data is shown below:

vzhouwenmsft_0-1715152130598.pngvzhouwenmsft_1-1715152207172.png

vzhouwenmsft_2-1715152246399.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1715152272761.png

Please follow these steps:
1. Use the following DAX expression to create a measure

Measure = 
CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Amount]),'Date'[Date] >= MIN('Projects'[StartDate]) - 365  && 'Date'[Date] <= MIN('Projects'[StartDate]),ALL('Projects'[StartDate]))

2.Final output

vzhouwenmsft_4-1715152328909.pngvzhouwenmsft_5-1715152339837.png

Thank you for this very detailed response! It looks like this is capturing the full year of sales leading up to the project start date, which is what I already have. I'm looking to mimic a YTD view using the project start date. So if a project started on March 1, 2024 and today is May 8, 2024, I would like to see sales from March 1, 2023 to May 8, 2023. Is this possible? 

Hi @JBGyro ,

Try this.

Measure 2 = 
VAR _a = MIN('Projects'[StartDate])
VAR _c = SELECTEDVALUE('Projects'[Name])
VAR _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Amount]),'Date'[Date] >= _a - 365  && 'Date'[Date] <= TODAY(),ALL('Projects'[StartDate]))
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(_c),BLANK(),_b)

vzhouwenmsft_0-1715217494619.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1715217511896.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JBGyro Better Year to Date Total - Microsoft Fabric Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
MNedix
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Have you tried DATEADD? For example, since you already have a measure for 12M Sales Since Start then you can try:

12M SSS Last Year = CALCULATE([12M Sales Since Start],DATEADD('Date'[Date],-1,YEAR))

Thank you for the reply. I have tried this and it isn't pulling in accurate values, and for some reason it's not pulling any data for projects started this year. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.