Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Abdelraouf
Frequent Visitor

Seeking Power BI Visualization Expertise

Hi experts,

I'm currently working on a Power BI project and could use some advice on visualization techniques. I'm comparing two measures in Power BI: "Sum of amount shipping" and "Sum of amount principal."

My goal is to illustrate the composition of each measure and how their components (sub-measures) contribute to the total of each measure. 

I'm specifically looking for creative ideas on how to visualize this data effectively. I prefer using charts rather than tables or matrices.

If you have experience with Power BI visualization or have encountered similar challenges before, I'd greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions!

Thank you in advance for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
Abdelraouf
Frequent Visitor

Good afternoon Mr Albert and  thank you very much for your help, 

First of all  i have quantitative measures that are themselves composed of other quantitative measures, how can effectively display each quantitative measure( eg: sum of amount shipping ) and its composition of sub-measures in Power BI

I will show you my suggestion.This is specifically for the 'sum_of_amount_shipping' measure. I have created sub-measures that comprise the main measure for visualization in another visual, such as a treemap.

Abdelraouf_3-1715768729779.png

And finally, as you can see, the sum is divided into two parts: Orders and Refunds. However, the issue arises as I am unable to view the Refund (the positive part in my chart) by default. I can only see it when I select the Refund amount in my table. If I deselect Refund in the table, it disappears once again. As illustrated in this picture , it seems like the total (Order +Refund)

Abdelraouf_4-1715768740688.png

Best regards,
Abdelraouf Daiffalah

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Abdelraouf ,
According to your description, you can use Filed Parameter, stuck column chart to create visual objects.
Here some steps that I want to share, you can check them if they suitable for your requirement.
Here is my test data:

vheqmsft_0-1715651472523.png

Create measures

amount_principal = SUM('Table'[amount principal])
amount_shipping = SUM('Table'[amount shipping])
Sum of amount principal = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[amount principal]),
    REMOVEFILTERS('Table'[Item])
)
Sum of amount shipping = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[amount shipping]),
    REMOVEFILTERS('Table'[Item])
)

Create filed parameter

vheqmsft_1-1715651588746.png

Apply the parameter to the stcked column chart

vheqmsft_2-1715651631892.png

Create a Clustered column chart

vheqmsft_3-1715651677581.png

Final output

vheqmsft_4-1715651693430.png

In the chart above you can see the comparison of the two measures by class, and in the one below we can see the percentage of measures selected in the slicer according to the length of the bar.

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.