Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

emre34

Quarterly Tax Payment Date For Cash Flow

Dear,

I have a measure where i have calculated my taxes upon budgetted turnover, 

Budget_Tax_Amount = 
var Company1_Tax = SUMX(PLANS, [Budget Total Sales] * [CIT_Rates_by_Branch])
var Company2_Tax = SUMX(BUDGET_COMPANY2_SALES, BUDGET_COMPANY2_SALES[Budget Sales USD Amount] * RELATED(BRANCH[Tax Rates.CIT Rate]) )
var Company3_Tax = SUMX(BUDGET_COMPANY3_SALES, [Budget_Company3_Sales_USD] * RELATED(BRANCH[Tax Rates.CIT Rate]) )
return Company1_Tax + Company2_Tax + Company3_tax

I have a  dates table and all of these 3 sales budget tables get related by date table. This measure is working good and showing all the budget numbers correctly. The problem is with my cash flow budgetting. I pay taxes quarterly and each quarter tax paying following second month. for example Q1 tax paying on 15/05/2024. 

I need a measure where it will be make a sum of quarterly amount and show it following second of month. how can i manupulate the date and provide it to show in requested date in the visuals (matrix , table).

thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hello @emre34 ,

Regarding the tax cash out flow which is 1.5 months later than your quarter end date, one solution is to create a calculated column in your sales fact table to indicate that if the sales happen during Q1, it will be paid on 15/05/2024 and so on.  I created a simple dummy data for illustration.  I suppose there is a smarter way to write the dax formula than below example with are hard-corded and could be high maintenance in the future. 

DataNinja777_0-1716127549425.png

Once writing the calculated column above, create an inactive relationship between that calculated cash flow timing date column with your calendar table.

And then, write a userelationship dax formula to activate that inactive relationship of the cash flow timing date in the fact table. 

DataNinja777_2-1716127869025.png

The result is as shown above in the last column which repects your quarterly timing of tax cash outflow in comparison to the usual dateadd solution which doesn't respect the quarterly lump sum payments timing.  

I attach an example pbix file which demonstrates this in a simple way.  

Best regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hello @emre34 ,

Regarding the tax cash out flow which is 1.5 months later than your quarter end date, one solution is to create a calculated column in your sales fact table to indicate that if the sales happen during Q1, it will be paid on 15/05/2024 and so on.  I created a simple dummy data for illustration.  I suppose there is a smarter way to write the dax formula than below example with are hard-corded and could be high maintenance in the future. 

DataNinja777_0-1716127549425.png

Once writing the calculated column above, create an inactive relationship between that calculated cash flow timing date column with your calendar table.

And then, write a userelationship dax formula to activate that inactive relationship of the cash flow timing date in the fact table. 

DataNinja777_2-1716127869025.png

The result is as shown above in the last column which repects your quarterly timing of tax cash outflow in comparison to the usual dateadd solution which doesn't respect the quarterly lump sum payments timing.  

I attach an example pbix file which demonstrates this in a simple way.  

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.