Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SB_LEE

Power BI Desktop problem with edge Webview2

Hello

I encountered a problem while using Power BI Desktop with MS Edge Webview2 runtime. Whenever I need to use Power BI Desktop, I have to enter the following command:

cmd command

• cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\{ADDRESS}\Installer
  • setup.exe --uninstall --msedgewebview --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall

Without executing this command, I am unable to use Power BI Desktop since it requires the uninstallation of Webview2.

However, the cmd command dosen't work theseday. I use windows 11 on my labtop.  

If you know how to delete the webview or how to use Power BI Desktop without infinite waiting in Windows 11 environment, please let me know how.

Thank you for your assistance.

7 REPLIES 7
johorvat
Regular Visitor

Encountered the same problem but on WIndows 10.
Yesterday PBI Desktop was working fine and today it just doesn't want ot go past this unless I uninstall WebView2.

johorvat_0-1683713075096.png

Once it opens it suggests an Update and I do it but it still doesn't work if I try to open another pbi file.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SB_LEE ,

I'm not sure why you should uninstall Webview2 when use Power BI Desktop, it's an essential part of Power BI Desktop app. If there's any issue with Webview2, you can first uninstall it in Control panel, then reinstall Webview2 by using this installation link.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1683696903353.png

Or you can try to uninstall Desktop directly and reinstall it by the below link:

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Hello,

I tried to uninstall it and install it again, but I am facinf the same issue

is there any other way round?

I found that Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is preventing Power BI as well as Clipchamp from loading. On a clean machine without SEP Power BI runs like a charm.
I suggest you try to run Power BI on a clean machine first, then load other softwares you need, one by one, to check what causes prevention of Power BI's loading. Please check more on SEP preventing applications to be loaded. I will leave it at that. Thanks.

Hello,

I tried as you suggested but nothing helps. still the same issue with webview2

Are you in a client-server environment? 
Try it outside the network.

Use on a freshly installed PC. Do not install any additional software, not even any firewall or antivirus. Just install Power BI and try then.

Hi,
If webview2 is an integral part of Power BI, why is Power BI stuck at the Splash screen and only un-installing webview2 allows Power BI to load? Also, it seems there are two instances of it at the task bar.
Splash Screen with two instances in the task barSplash Screen with two instances in the task bar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.