Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BeautifulDash
Frequent Visitor

Drill down from date to datetime

I have a dataset called df showing solar power generation/electricity consumption, whereby each variable (load, use, injection, ..) has a float value (e.g.: 1.5, for 1.5 kW), recorded every five minutes so using datetime (e.g: 14/4/2024 13:22:53). A CALENDERAUTO generated Date table allows for filtering dates using a slicer.

When looking at a single day on a column chart, it looks great. When looking at multiple days, or more, there’s too many data points. I want to then aggregate the values by day (or month, or year).

Is there any way to see datetime (without hierarchy) when looking at a single day but date hierarchy, so clustered per day, month, or year, when looking at more than one day, in a single graph?

My values are already measures (e.g.: inject = SUMX(FILTER(df, df[variable] = "inject"), df[value]). The time intelligence/chart adds, in effect, a grouping, so, what I am really asking is how to auto-adjust, or through user interaction (like a slicer); change the scale of the X axis?

Tried:

• When using a date hierarchy, drilling down is possible, but not lower than 1 day, meaning I cannot see the datetime values of day 14/4/2024, for instance. There’s also a way to do this with buttons, I’m aware.
  • When using a custom date hierarchy (by generating columns for day, month, year, and time), I can, but then the datetime is not continuous but categorical, which does not allow me to really see my usage visually.

Dashboard (but with Python-generated random data):

BeautifulDash_0-1714999757040.png

To be clear, because in this thread this question was ignored; the X axis needs to be continuous, not categorical, also when drilling down to the lowest level, which is not working out for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BeautifulDash 

Please consider using DrillThrough.

While you've mentioned that drilling down to datetime granularity is not directly possible with the date hierarchy, consider using the drillthrough feature in Power BI to create a detailed page that focuses on a single day's data. Users can then select a specific day from the main report page and drill through to the detailed page to see data at the datetime level. This method provides a user-friendly way to navigate from aggregated data to detailed data.

Here I create a set of sample:

vzhengdxumsft_0-1715062891682.png

Then add a calculated column:

Date = DATE(YEAR('Table'[DateTime]),MONTH('Table'[DateTime]),DAY('Table'[DateTime]))

And change the type of the column into date (yyyy-mm-dd)

vzhengdxumsft_1-1715062959152.png

Then add a clustered column chart with Date and Value field:

vzhengdxumsft_2-1715063002263.png

Then in page 2, add a clustered column chart with Datetime and Value field:

vzhengdxumsft_3-1715063066389.png

Then drag the Date field into the drillthrough bin, you can right-click the clustered column and select the drill through > page 2 to achieve similar operations.

vzhengdxumsft_4-1715063257057.png

Here for your reference:

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BeautifulDash
Frequent Visitor

That's a good solution, but I cannot get it working. 'Drill-through' from Date hierarchy to Datetime (no hierarchy) does not appear. 

BeautifulDash_2-1715069995387.png

BeautifulDash_1-1715069949035.png

Hi @BeautifulDash 

Yes, you should use the date column with out hierarchy, and change the type of the x-axis into Categorical:

vzhengdxumsft_0-1715070527868.pngvzhengdxumsft_1-1715070542043.png

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, that works. I then have to create a custom date hierarchy, sort of, by using MONTH(date) and YEAR(date) as calculated columns, and adding date (so day), month, and year, to the categorical visual to be able to drill down. Odd how many steps and workarounds are needed to simply drill down date and datetime, when the relation between those datapoints should be obvious to the software. Thank you for your help -- this is solved! 

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BeautifulDash 

Please consider using DrillThrough.

While you've mentioned that drilling down to datetime granularity is not directly possible with the date hierarchy, consider using the drillthrough feature in Power BI to create a detailed page that focuses on a single day's data. Users can then select a specific day from the main report page and drill through to the detailed page to see data at the datetime level. This method provides a user-friendly way to navigate from aggregated data to detailed data.

Here I create a set of sample:

vzhengdxumsft_0-1715062891682.png

Then add a calculated column:

Date = DATE(YEAR('Table'[DateTime]),MONTH('Table'[DateTime]),DAY('Table'[DateTime]))

And change the type of the column into date (yyyy-mm-dd)

vzhengdxumsft_1-1715062959152.png

Then add a clustered column chart with Date and Value field:

vzhengdxumsft_2-1715063002263.png

Then in page 2, add a clustered column chart with Datetime and Value field:

vzhengdxumsft_3-1715063066389.png

Then drag the Date field into the drillthrough bin, you can right-click the clustered column and select the drill through > page 2 to achieve similar operations.

vzhengdxumsft_4-1715063257057.png

Here for your reference:

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.