Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

syl-ade
Regular Visitor

Number of employees - Formula

Hi All, 

I would like to show the number of employees at indicated time yet when filtered by year for example 2022", the formula counts currently employed and people who left as well.

Headcount = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(hra_datasource[Index]),
FILTER(VALUES(hra_datasource[start_date]), hra_datasource[start_date]<=MAX('CALENDAR'[Date])),
FILTER(VALUES(hra_datasource[end_date]), OR(hra_datasource[end_date] >=MAX('CALENDAR'[Date]),ISBLANK(hra_datasource[end_date]))))

The dashboard looks like that 

sylade_0-1715177964091.png

The correct number that should appear is "number of employees at indicated time" - "Leavers". How can I improve my formula to count only currently hired?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @syl-ade ,

I've created a simple dummy data to show the sample headcount calculation.  There are multiple ways to calculate headcount, but the important thing is that you create a data model with your employee table and calendar table as disconnected tables.  This is crutial for performing fiexible headcount analysis which frees you from the time dimension constraints.  One observation I made regarding your original formula is that you are using OR instead of &&, and for headcount calcualation, both after the starting date AND before the termination date conditions have to be met, so OR is not appropriate for headcount calculation.  Also, another point is that while the starting date has all the rows with date values, I suppose end_date has many blank values as some of the employees have still not left the company at the point of preparing the headcount analysis.  In the long run, everyone leaves the company but it is the fact that employee table contains blank values for end date for current employees. 

In order to deal with blank values in the end_date field, you can create a calculated column to say that if it is blank, certain date in the future should be filled in, such as shown below.  Let's call it "Adjusted end date" for this example.  

DataNinja777_0-1715438648150.png

I've tweaked your original formula to produce the headcount analysis like below:

DataNinja777_1-1715438732115.png

There are multiple ways to produce the same output, and another way is to use sumx formula like below:

DataNinja777_2-1715438775223.png

There's an article which discusses headcount calculation in the link below, but I guess you are on the right track, with respect to the use of disconnected tables, and just needed to fix "OR" part to "&&" and then also, needed to deal with blank values in your end_date field as typically, employee tables end date fields have blank values for current employees. 

https://p3adaptive.com/finding-the-magic-part-2-on-the-way-to-data-happiness/

I attach an example pbix file with the fake data I created mimicking your table name.  

Best regards,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @syl-ade ,

I've created a simple dummy data to show the sample headcount calculation.  There are multiple ways to calculate headcount, but the important thing is that you create a data model with your employee table and calendar table as disconnected tables.  This is crutial for performing fiexible headcount analysis which frees you from the time dimension constraints.  One observation I made regarding your original formula is that you are using OR instead of &&, and for headcount calcualation, both after the starting date AND before the termination date conditions have to be met, so OR is not appropriate for headcount calculation.  Also, another point is that while the starting date has all the rows with date values, I suppose end_date has many blank values as some of the employees have still not left the company at the point of preparing the headcount analysis.  In the long run, everyone leaves the company but it is the fact that employee table contains blank values for end date for current employees. 

In order to deal with blank values in the end_date field, you can create a calculated column to say that if it is blank, certain date in the future should be filled in, such as shown below.  Let's call it "Adjusted end date" for this example.  

DataNinja777_0-1715438648150.png

I've tweaked your original formula to produce the headcount analysis like below:

DataNinja777_1-1715438732115.png

There are multiple ways to produce the same output, and another way is to use sumx formula like below:

DataNinja777_2-1715438775223.png

There's an article which discusses headcount calculation in the link below, but I guess you are on the right track, with respect to the use of disconnected tables, and just needed to fix "OR" part to "&&" and then also, needed to deal with blank values in your end_date field as typically, employee tables end date fields have blank values for current employees. 

https://p3adaptive.com/finding-the-magic-part-2-on-the-way-to-data-happiness/

I attach an example pbix file with the fake data I created mimicking your table name.  

Best regards,

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Headcount =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( hra_datasource[Index] ),
    hra_datasource[start_date] <= MIN ( 'CALENDAR'[Date] ),
    COALESCE ( hra_datasource[end_date], TODAY () ) >= MAX ( 'CALENDAR'[Date] )
)

Hi Ibendlin, 

The code does not seem to work well unfortunately.

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Sample data:

first_namesurnamegenderemployment_typecompanybusiness unitN+2start_dateend_date
JohnSmithMaleB2BCompany ABUISSIS (Sales IS)2007-09-01 
EmilyJohnsonMaleB2BCompany ABUCLDelivery Modern Work&Security2009-02-12 
MichaelWilliamsMaleB2BCompany ABUCLSales Modern Work&Security (SMS)2009-02-12 
SarahBrownMaleFTECompany ABUMSDMS (Delivery MS)2022-10-102023-07-31
JamesJonesFemaleFTECompany BBUCSSNS (Sales NS)2022-11-022023-04-15
EmmaDavisMaleFTECompany BBUSTPRM2022-12-012023-02-28
JacobBrendonMaleCACompany ABUCLHybrid Cloud & Data & AI2022-12-012024-03-31

In the model there are two 1-to-many inactive relationships:

1. date 1---* start_date

2. date 1---* end_date

lbendlin_0-1715374415479.pnglbendlin_1-1715374453128.png

see attached

It's not possible to put the HC calculation on the Card Visualisation. 

sylade_0-1715411478256.png

Which number do you expect to show?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors