Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

EduardD
Frequent Visitor

Shared workspace - how change column and measures name in datamodel and connected reports?

Hi there, 
I have a shared dataset with 2 reports connected:
- for one report I can downlad the pbix with dataset live connection

- second report was created in the service so it is not downloadable

Changing a column or measure name in the dataset breaks both connected report.
Question: is there a way how to align column\measures renaming across dataset and 2 connected report? 
Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok, one other option is to edit the reports after making changes in the model. I know this would be time taking. 

Another option that I can suggest is, After renaming all the measures in the model you can get into report json file and replaces all the occurances of old names and replace them with new name then push the changes. But this would require git integration.

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EduardD
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @tharunkumarRTK, that might be a good idea in the absence of other options.

tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@EduardD 
Are you not able to download the pbix along with the data in it? (instead of live connection)

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 12.12.10 PM.png

If yes, then your scenario might be falling under any limitations, https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#limitations-when-do...

You can use external tools like tabular editor (https://github.com/TabularEditor/TabularEditor) to rename the columns, or you can try editing the model within power bi service (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/service-edit-data-models). If you have already tried these approaches and still facing the error then please share the error screenshot.

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

thank you, @tharunkumarRTK  . I cannot for the one I created on the PBI.com.  I have no issue with changing the column/measure names in the service. The problem how to reflect it in parallel in the reports.
May I confirm that TabularEditor can connect to reports (not datasets) to change the referenced in visuals object names at scale?

Tabular editor is to connect semantic models.

Since you have created both reports by connecting to same model, I think changing the name in the model will change them in all reports. Incase if you have given the measur names for a particular visual then you need to edit each report in power bi service.

Tharun

Thank you @tharunkumarRTK , that is what I started with. Changing name in the model breaks reports because reports have no visibility into that the name of the measure used in the report has changed, reports just cannot see the measure anymore under old name and all related visauls show errors.

ok, one other option is to edit the reports after making changes in the model. I know this would be time taking. 

Another option that I can suggest is, After renaming all the measures in the model you can get into report json file and replaces all the occurances of old names and replace them with new name then push the changes. But this would require git integration.

Tharun

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors