Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bstage_101
Regular Visitor

I want my collegue to be able to edit Dataflow I have created

I am seeking assistance regarding collaborative editing in Microsoft Fabric. My colleagues and I work together on the Fabric platform, particularly with Dataflows. Currently, I am encountering an issue where my colleagues are unable to edit a Dataflow that I created. Despite all of us having administrative privileges in our workspace, they do not see the option to edit (i.e., the edit icon is missing.  I see it, but my colleagues do not).

screenshot_2023-11-10 113834.png

Could someone please advise on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OguzMavice
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @bstage_101 , dataflow should be owned by person who want to make edition on it. On the dataflow setting pane, there is a "take over" section. If your colleagues take dataflow on him/herself, he/she can edit it. I dont know whether you use gateway or not; but if you are using gateway, all team should be identifed with credential of gateway on gateway source management. If you are connecting directly to source or not using gateway, your colleagues should edit data source credential after taking over it. This setting also is on the setting pane.

I hope the solution helps you

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Groovy

This is just Microsoft's way to resolve the 'locking' issue on the same object without investing too much time and money into a comprehensive lock management solution. Imagine two people editing the same dataflow at the same time - how do you sync the changes, which ones to keep, etc. Oh well, other providers did a much better job (e.g. SAP on their locking tech) but Fabric is new, so MS still has time to catch up with things. Otherwise, it looks abit silly that one needs to take over an object prior to editing it. Imagine doing the same for some excel file on the sharepoint...

Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

@OguzMavice is correct. Your colleague needs to take over the dataflow, then edit it.

As long as everyone has access to the data sources behind the dataflow, this will work.

It is just that whoever wants to edit stuff needs to take it over before being able to do anything.

OguzMavice
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @bstage_101 , dataflow should be owned by person who want to make edition on it. On the dataflow setting pane, there is a "take over" section. If your colleagues take dataflow on him/herself, he/she can edit it. I dont know whether you use gateway or not; but if you are using gateway, all team should be identifed with credential of gateway on gateway source management. If you are connecting directly to source or not using gateway, your colleagues should edit data source credential after taking over it. This setting also is on the setting pane.

I hope the solution helps you

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors