Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Don-Bot
Helper II
Helper II

How can I get Power BI Service to automatically assign gateway to new semantic model?

I have a semantic model that is created using C# and XMLA Endpoint.  The model is created and saved in the power bi service.  

However, after the model is created it doesn't see the gateways I have setup for it to use.  Even though the service principal that is used to create the model is an admin on the connection and the gateway.  The Service Principal is also an admin on the workspace as well.  

After I create the model this is what the gateway connection screen looks like.  

DonBot_0-1714498268572.png

However, if I simply takeover the model from the service principal that created it the service will automatically find the correct gateway.  

So how can I do this automatically so I don't have to take it over?

DonBot_1-1714501864220.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Don-Bot ,

According to the error message, you are not the owner of this semantic model, you need to go to the corresponding semantic to check your permissions, if not, you can add the corresponding permissions.

Refer to:

Manage semantic model access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI Service can not automatically assign the gateway, you need to click Add to gateway in the following picture to jump to the gateway interface information to configure the corresponding data source information

vyangliumsft_0-1714547239476.png

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This semantic model was also created using an xmla endpoint (exact same code as the one not working).  The only difference is the gateway is a simple name and not a long server name.  Permissions all seem to be the same.  I haven't found any differences.

This one auto finds the correct gateway.  And as you can see this one is also owned by another ID (IE:  The service principal used by the code to create it).

I can't seem to find this one works but the other doesn't.

DonBot_1-1714659760065.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.