Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dominicghr
Frequent Visitor

Python Slicer with New Parameter

Hey guys!

The goal of my visualisation is to get a slicer, that can filter my Python-visualisation of maxCurrentCutter and maxCurrentNormal. These two are columns in the table testDataCutter (screenshot below).

For now, I have created a new parameter with these two columns, called field_parameter. But I really don't know how to adapt my python code that it runs and filters as wished. Can sb help?

This is my code so far:

import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

# Datetype of 'Date'
dataset['Date'] = pd.to_datetime(dataset['Date'])

# Plot  
plt.scatter(dataset['Date'], dataset['maxCurrentCutter'], color='green', s=10, label='maxCurrentCutter')
plt.scatter(dataset['Date'], dataset['maxCurrentNormal'], color='orange', s=10, label='maxCurrentNormal')

plt.title('Max Thread Cut Current')
plt.xlabel('Date')
plt.ylabel('[Ampere]]')
plt.grid(True)
# vertical Grid
#plt.gca().xaxis.grid(False)
plt.xticks(rotation=30)
plt.tight_layout()
plt.legend(loc='upper left')

plt.show()

dominicghr_0-1712655483819.png

dominicghr_1-1712655554227.png

dominicghr_0-1712655852084.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dominicghr
Frequent Visitor

I think I found an appropriate solution. 

In the Power Query Editor, you have to convert the two columns (maxCurrentCutter & maxCurrentNormal) in into a Unipivot Column. Than you can select between maxCurrentCutter & -Normal in a slicer which will also affect the python code. 

The only problem with this method is, that the number of rows doubles, which can lead to performance issues on larger datasets.

Hope this helps somebody 🙂

from this...

dominicghr_0-1713162875354.png

to this ...

dominicghr_1-1713162906377.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dominicghr
Frequent Visitor

I think I found an appropriate solution. 

In the Power Query Editor, you have to convert the two columns (maxCurrentCutter & maxCurrentNormal) in into a Unipivot Column. Than you can select between maxCurrentCutter & -Normal in a slicer which will also affect the python code. 

The only problem with this method is, that the number of rows doubles, which can lead to performance issues on larger datasets.

Hope this helps somebody 🙂

from this...

dominicghr_0-1713162875354.png

to this ...

dominicghr_1-1713162906377.png

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dominicghr ,

During my investigation I have found users in the past who have had similar experiences to you .

For original post, you may refer to

Solved: Power BI Slicer as What-If parameter in python scr... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-tianyich-msft 

Thanks for your message. I looked about these problems in the link but I think they had another problem to be solved. 

My problem is, that maxCurrentCutter & -Normal are Column Headers. So I can not make a normal slicer because than, there would be Values like 4.256, ... and not maxCurrentCutter for example. But for this case Power BI implementated the New Parameter function, which creates a new Table that you can use for slicer and for the visualisation. But I don't know how to implement the field_parameter (screenshot) into my Code instead of using maxCurrentCutter and maxCurrentNormal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.