Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SebJana

Date formatting of the x-Axis when using Small Multiples

Dear PowerBI-Community,

i have a question about small multiples.
A "normal" date formatting of the x-Axis when using a bar chart in PowerBI loks like this:

Result.PNG

Whenever I use Small Multiples, and set Rows and Columns both to 1, I get this formatting:

Current.PNG

Is there a way to use Small multiples like that, but still have that cascading date formatting of the x-Axis like in the default bar chart?
Thanks in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @SebJana 

The reason for the change in the X-axis display is that in the regular view graph, we have the option to switch the "Concatenate labels" option to on/off.

In Small Multiples, this option does not exist and there is simply an automatic connection of the hierarchy with no option for a different display (I guess this is due to the compactness of the graphs in terms of pixels)

Ritaf1983_0-1714797662347.pngRitaf1983_1-1714797719881.png

There is an idea about this issue, you can vote for it by the link :
https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=68fe3768-9ae0-eb11-ba5e-281878bdb01d

(I voted)

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @SebJana 

The reason for the change in the X-axis display is that in the regular view graph, we have the option to switch the "Concatenate labels" option to on/off.

In Small Multiples, this option does not exist and there is simply an automatic connection of the hierarchy with no option for a different display (I guess this is due to the compactness of the graphs in terms of pixels)

Ritaf1983_0-1714797662347.pngRitaf1983_1-1714797719881.png

There is an idea about this issue, you can vote for it by the link :
https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=68fe3768-9ae0-eb11-ba5e-281878bdb01d

(I voted)

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Is there another visual that would provide this functionality without using Small Multiples, allowing me to scroll through the data while maintaining the date formatting, either in default Power BI or as a custom visual?

Hi @SebJana 
I don't think we have something with this feature generically, you can try to create something similar with Deneb. 
Take a look at the linked tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6FZYTSKI6Y

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.