Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jonathan_Richar
Frequent Visitor

Can you help me? Monthly and Quarter filter in the same date slicer

hey guys,
I hope they are well.

I would like to ask for your help, and thank you in advance for all your responses.

I have the following problem:
I have a month filter (Jan to Dec) and I need a segmentation that separates Month and quarter. When quarter is selected, the same filter that is monthly will become quarterly, showing Q1 to Q4. I would like to explore options other than duplicating the page to turn it into a quarter.

Jonathan_Richar_0-1713622335415.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can use a field parameter: just create a new one with month and quarter as values. Add a slicer to the page to you can select one of them (make sure single selection is ON). (let'scall this element "Filter1")

Now add a new filter to the page ("Filter2") and bring there the same field parameter. Click with a right mouse on the field name and select "Show values of selected field"

Sergii24_0-1713627576357.png

In such way by selecting a value from the first slicer (Filter1), the second one (Filter2) will react accordingly by showing respective values.

Make sure to correctly set up interaction between filters: Filter1 should filter Filter2 but Filter2 should not filter Filter1.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jonathan_Richar, could you clarify your request? Do you want to have a button that will change the same filter from month to quarter selection? Please explain step-by-step the desired output and provide some screenshots of it (if applicable).

Clear!

You will first have a Month and Quarter selector.

Upon selection, a single date slicer would switch to month (Jan to Dec) or to quarter (Q1 to Q4)

For example, if Quarter is marked in the selector, the filter with the names of the months will display (Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4)

In the screenshots below I alternated the manual date slicer between month and quarter, but I would like it to be done automatically.PBIDesktop_f8fLcRPl44.pngPBIDesktop_UQjJfCoH8k.png

P.S. you can learn more about field paramenters here

You can use a field parameter: just create a new one with month and quarter as values. Add a slicer to the page to you can select one of them (make sure single selection is ON). (let'scall this element "Filter1")

Now add a new filter to the page ("Filter2") and bring there the same field parameter. Click with a right mouse on the field name and select "Show values of selected field"

Sergii24_0-1713627576357.png

In such way by selecting a value from the first slicer (Filter1), the second one (Filter2) will react accordingly by showing respective values.

Make sure to correctly set up interaction between filters: Filter1 should filter Filter2 but Filter2 should not filter Filter1.

Good luck!

Excellent explanation, thank you very much for your time and knowledge!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.