Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PowerDev_Bill
Regular Visitor

Power Apps in Power BI User Licensing Question

Hi,

So we use Microsoft 365 online, we have Power BI web and Power App. We currently have a project were we have a Power BI dashboard, and the dashboard has a Power App integrated into it using the "Power Apps for Power BI" visual. Whenever a new user logs into to the dashboard they get "Start a Power App trial".

We are trying to deduce the minimum required license/plan that is needed so that a user can utilize the app.

Now, it looks like we have "Power Apps for Dynamics 365", "Power Apps Community", and "Power Apps for Office 365" licenses.

I have been navigating Power Apps help pages for licensing information, but they only speak of "Power Apps Premium", "Power Apps per App", and "Power App pay-as you-go". I don't believe that is accurate for us.

Based on this, what license can we assign to users that will essentially just allow them to utilize our Power App in Power BI?

Quick notes: 1. The Power App does write back to a datasource. 2. The app uses flows, 3. It has premium data connectors.

If this can be answered or if I can be guided to the appropriate resource then I would be really grateful!

Thanks in Advance!

15 REPLIES 15
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We currently have a project were we have a Power BI dashboard, and the dashboard has a Power App integrated into it using the "Power Apps for Power BI" visual. 

Please confirm. Did you pin a report page to a dashboard tile,  or are you using the term "dashboard"  loosely and actually mean "report" ?

Quick notes: 1. The Power App does write back to a datasource. 2. The app uses flows, 3. It has premium data connectors.

Either of these will require EACH Power BI report user to have a PowerApps Premium or a Power Automate Premium license.  They do NOT need to have a Power BI Pro license if the Power BI Report is accessed through an app on a Power BI Premium capacity.

Confused yet?  Microsoft's choice of monikers for their licensing is, uhm, a tad unfortunate.

What M365 SKU do you have, E3 or E5 or something else?

if we have power bi dashboard and we will invoke it in powerapps.. that dashboard contains another powerapps app then which license should i acquire?

Those are entirely separate.  Is that dashboard part of a Power BI Premium Workspace app?

NOTE: Power BI Premium Capacity is totally different from PowerApps Premium licenses. Not confusing at all.

currently we dont have power bi license?

you need both, and separately. they do not come in a package.

Thankyou....hello i need help....i have a report in power bi which has powerapps screen ...that report is then shifted to powerapps screen.  i am unable to specify which screen should be displayed on the report.....my start screen is different...then what should i do...I cannot use 2 apps

Please provide a more detailed explanation of what you are aiming to achieve. What have you tried and where are you stuck?

I'm trying to do something like below. Currently I'm displaying 4 different Power Apps, but I want to display it from the same Power App just different screens...

Timi1_0-1715179818370.png

If you want to do this in a single visual then you either need to use a much larger canvas or provide naviagation between pages.  By default the PowerApps visual in Power BI presents like a phone screen (portrait mode).

Can i make power app and give the screen of my choice which is invoked in Power Bi report?

that's a great question.  So basically provide a parameter to the starting PowerApps visual to influence the start page.  Haven't tried that yet.

But I want the actual app to have a different start screen?

Just to show in Report I need to show a different screen of same app...is this possible ?

we currently dont have any kind of workspace in power bi now ...we have to acquire a license....will powerapps premium be feasible in this case?

E3.

So, with E3 we were provided with a bit over 20 licenses. Our Power BI is separate from our Microsoft 365 package. We don't want to provide the licenses that came with our Microsoft 365 E3 package, to our users, because then they'll gain access to additional Microsoft components/apps that they don't need access to. 

In this case, do we have to acquire PowerApps Premium licenses or would acquiring and providing Power Apps per app licenses suffice?

My understanding is that a Premium connector requires a Premium license in EITHER PowerApps or Power Automate. Meaning if your solution includes both then you only need a Premium license for one of them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors