Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Cannot create a mirrored server in Fabric

I'm trying to set up a Mirrored Azure SQL Server and database in my Fabric Workspace. It does not work. 

Additionally, every time I try, after putting in the servername and database name, it auto completes a bunch of security fields, like it *knows* about this connection. But the connection is NOT listed if I go to "Manage Connections and Gateways"

I'm trying to set this up with a SQL Server login that has SYSADMIN rights on the server.

It gives no details about what went wrong, only lists a GUID as the activity ID to give to support.

Anybody set this up? Why is this so difficut? 

Thanks in advance.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

@v-jianpeng-msft Yes, I went through the Prerequisites (again). Everything is set up per the list, as far as I can tell.

One curious note: Every time I walk through the mirroring setup and try a different access method, like a different access method, I get a new Connection:

ToddChitt_0-1715259904243.png

The above screenshot shows THREE existing connections. But when I go to the gear icon and select "Manage connections and gateways" none of those three show up. I would like to clean up these failed attempts but cannot find them listed anywhere. What is going on with that?

Could any of it be due to the fact that I am accessing the tenant via a guest account and B2B? I am a Fabric Administrator and have full control over the Fabric environment, Admin Portal, Azure SQL Server and Database, etc.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

hackcrr
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi, @ToddChitt 

If the connection is not visible in Manage Connections and Gateways, try clearing your browser cache and cookies. check for any hidden connections by navigating to Data Settings in the Fabric workspace.
Guest Accounts and B2B Notes:
Ensure that your guest account has the necessary permissions to Azure SQL Server and the Fabric workspace. Verify that the guest account is properly configured and granted access.
Error Handling and Logging:
When you encounter an error, make a note of the Activity ID and check the logs in the Azure portal for any detailed error messages. Use the Activity ID to raise a support ticket with Microsoft for more specific troubleshooting.

If you don't see connections to clean them up, try using PowerShell or the Azure CLI to list and remove the connections.

The following is a sample PowerShell script for a connection in the Power BI workspace:

# Install the required module if not already installed
Install-Module -Name MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt -Scope CurrentUser

# Import the module
Import-Module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt

# Login to Power BI
Login-PowerBI

# Get a list of connections in the workspace
Get-PowerBIDataSource -WorkspaceId "YOUR_WORKSPACE_ID"

The following is a sample PowerShell script for deleting connections in a Power BI workspace:

# Install the required module if not already installed
Install-Module -Name MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt -Scope CurrentUser

# Import the module
Import-Module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt

# Login to Power BI
Login-PowerBI

# Remove a data source
Remove-PowerBIDataSource -Id "CONNECTION_ID" -WorkspaceId "YOUR_WORKSPACE_ID"

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ToddChitt 

Did you follow the steps in the documentation to create a mirror database?

Tutorial: Configure Microsoft Fabric mirrored databases from Azure SQL Database (Preview) - Microsof...

vjianpengmsft_0-1715223508421.png

The option to enable mirroring is required in the Admin portal for Power BI service:

vjianpengmsft_1-1715223588813.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors