Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amaaiia
Helper V
Helper V

APP audience access with import an Directlake modes

I have 3 workspaces:

• SM workspace: it has sm_import (semantic model in Import mode) and sm_dl (semantic model in DirectLake mode)
  • R workspace: rep_import (report ingesting data from sm_import) and rep_dl (report ingesting data from sd_dl)
  • LH workspace: lh_import (lakehouse used by sm_import to ingest data) and lh_dl (lakehouse used by sm_dl to ingest data)

I have created an APP for R workspace. The APP has 1 audience where both reports are visible. In the APP, I've added user1 to be able to see this audience. Initially, user1 doesn't have access to the workspaces.

User1 has tried to see reports in the audience, and is able to see rep_dl but no rep_import. Then, I've added user1 as viewer role in SM workspace, and finally user1 is able to see rep_import.

2 questions:

1. How is possible that user1 is able to see rep_dl as he doesn't have access to any of the workspaces? I've just added as user in audience, but not to the dataset (semantic model).

2. I thought for import mode it was enough adding user1 in the audience. Instead, I've had to add user1 as viewer in import semantic model. Is this behaviour normal?

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I would say that the weird thing here is that you can access the direct lake one. Beacuse it's new and docs are updating every week there might be still details to learn about. Regaring import mode, it's the expected behaviour. You add a person to the PowerBi App audience. That person will be able to view reports with datasets included. If the report's dataset is hosted in another workspace, it's required for them to have at least view permission at the specific dataset (it's not necessary to give access to all the workspace)

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors