Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

harry1605
Regular Visitor

Just taking first row

Hello

I have a number of files in a folder and wanted to know how I could in power query

- only take the first (header row) from each file into a single file.  I want to do this so that I can compare the headers in each file

- automate the process

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @harry1605 

As you are using Folder connector, it would be simple. In "Transform Sample File" query, Use Headers as First Row

vjingzhanmsft_0-1714116793826.png

Then Keep Top 1 Row

vjingzhanmsft_1-1714116825709.png

Then go to the combined query, if there is a step called "Changed Type", remove this step. You will have all column headers in the combined query. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @harry1605, if you upload 2 or 3 files (you can delete all the data just keep header rows and at least one data row) i.e. to google drive and provide here a link with public permissions, we can create a query for you.

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

slorin
Super User
Super User

Hi,

with csv files 

let
Source = Folder.Files("C:\Temp"),
csv_files = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Extension] = ".csv"),
Headers = Table.Combine(
Table.AddColumn(
csv_files,
"Header",
each Table.FromRecords({[Name = [Name]] & Csv.Document([Content],null,";"){0}})
)[Header])
in
Headers

Stéphane 

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for your response.  I am new to power query so can I confirm the following is correct or if you can correct for me:

1. I have opened a new excel workbook and selected get data from folder and have chosen the combine and transform option

2. When in the power query editor I go to the transform file step (or is it another step or way) I replace from the let statement with your code - my files are xlsx so replace csv

Thanks

Hi @harry1605 

As you are using Folder connector, it would be simple. In "Transform Sample File" query, Use Headers as First Row

vjingzhanmsft_0-1714116793826.png

Then Keep Top 1 Row

vjingzhanmsft_1-1714116825709.png

Then go to the combined query, if there is a step called "Changed Type", remove this step. You will have all column headers in the combined query. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Hi Jing,

so sleek and so cool thank you.

Followed your instructions I had to de promote the header and take the top row and bingo got what I wanted!

Stephane thanks also for taking the time to support.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors