Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lorenzvers

Parameterize connection Oracle DB

Hi all, after a long research I couldn't find a solution that worked for me and hence decided to ask.

I'm working with oracle connections and it's quite new to me. 

Basically I connect to oracle DB by providing the server/service and then input username and password.

Thing is my username corresponds to a layer of tables in the DB, so if I want to get tables from the IMPORT layer (username is IMPORT) and input the password, the credentials get saved.
Now, if I want to get tables from a different layer (for example ANALYSIS), the server/service would be the same, but the username changes, so I can't connect to the ANALISYS layer as Power BI saved the credentials for the IMPORT layer.

Is there a way to separate the connections, so I can have a data source connection for each one of my layers?

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lorenzvers ,
According to your description, you first need to clear the original data source credentials if you want to configure linking separately for each Oracle DB tier. Then, go back to Power BI and click on “Get Data” to create a new connection. Select the Oracle Database option, enter the server/service details and then provide the ANALYSIS tier username and password. If you have more tiers, repeat the process, creating a new connection for each tier with unique credentials and a connection name.
You can go to Data Source Settings to delete and modify these credentials if you want to manage them.
You can check out this post for more information on modifying data source credentials
Solved: Manage data source credentials in Power Bi Desktop... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Albert, thanks for replying.

I tried this already but it doesn't work, since my Server/ServiceName connection string is always the same; I'll try to explain better.

To connect to the first layer (IMPORT) I provide Server/ServiceName (in get Data) and then I get prompted for Username (it's literally IMPORT, the name of the layer) and password. 
Now I have access to all of the tables of this layer.

When I try to import a table from another layer, I go to Get Data -> Oracle and input Server/ServiceName (which are exactly the same as the previous layer) and I can't provide the username for the ANALYSIS layer (which is literally ANALYSIS) because the credentials from the IMPORT layer are stored (since the Server/ServiceName is the same and gets treated as the same connection).

The only workaround I found so far is to slightly alter the connection string in order for it to have a different name, but point to the same DB, for example:
1. Server/ServiceName (original)
2. Server/ServiceName/ (added a "/" and it gets traeated as a different connection)
3. Server:Port/ServiceName (added the port, which is the default one)

This works for importing different layers, as I get prompted for credentials for each one of them, but it seems far from ideal.

Hope I made myself clear enough.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.