Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

frankvb
Helper II
Helper II

publish to web - viewing aggregated data in detail

My question is about this warning: "When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. Viewing requires no authentication. It includes viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web 

How can you view this aggregate level data? 

I'm asking from the point of view of somebody publishing the report.

4 REPLIES 4
frankvb
Helper II
Helper II

@GilbertQ Do you know of other ways the users can view the lowest level of detail that you have in your semantic model?

These posts seem to imply that revealing more hidden detail than shown in the semantic model, or in the visuals in the report is impossible:

Solved: How to export data when published to Web - Microsoft Fabric Community

Publish to Web - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Publish to Web Data Model - Microsoft Fabric Community

Some even seem to say that the line: "viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate" is just an exaggerated warning.

As far as I can tell "viewing detail-level data that your reports aggregate" only really applies to implicit measures.

Data you aggregate not with a measure, but by using the options in the data-pane. Those can be explored with a right-click in the visual and choosing "show data-point as a table".

This functionality is not possible for data aggregated by measures:

Show the data that was used to create the report visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Is Power BI’s “Show Data Point As A Table” Feature A Security Hole? (crossjoin...

Hi @frankvb 

I think the easiest way for you to understand this is whatever data you have in your power desktop report is the level that potentially users could see that same level of data in the power BI service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

frankvb
Helper II
Helper II

@GilbertQ 

Yes but how, is what I don't understand.

The report includes only aggregated data, all buttons for options to see more detail (view as table) or hidden

My model however includes a measure based on a hidden column. Can users somehow see the detail-data of the individual records? Via web inspector I found that you can see the hidden column: it's name and the fact it is hidden. But can you find the individual records as well?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @frankvb 

My understanding is that the users who use your reports under published web can view it down to the lowest level of detail that you have in your semantic model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors