Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dominicghr
Frequent Visitor

Gateway and cloud connection

Hey guys!

When I have published my Power BI file to the Service, I didn't have a cloud connection. The data comes from a SQL server (imported). Normally it is automatically a cloud connection but in this file with that sql server, it wasn't. So I had to do a personal gateway as in the screenshot below. 

So right now, I don't know the advantages / disadvantages of those connections. Can someone enlighten me?

And is there a way to get a cloud connection or what are the requirements for that?

Best regards, 
Dominic

dominicghr_0-1715002886259.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@dominicghr 

When publishing a Power BI report to the Power BI Service, the data connection can either be through a cloud-based data source or through an on-premises data source using a gateway. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each:

Cloud Connection:
Advantages:
1. Seamless Integration: Cloud connections offer seamless integration with Power BI Service without the need for additional configurations.
2. Data Security: Data is securely stored and managed within the cloud environment, providing robust security features.
3. Scalability: Cloud-based data sources offer scalability, allowing for easy scaling up or down based on data needs.
4. Automatic Refresh: Cloud-based data sources can be configured for automatic refresh in the Power BI Service, ensuring that the data is always up-to-date.

Disadvantages:
1. Data Privacy Concerns: Some organizations may have data privacy concerns about storing sensitive data in the cloud.
2. Connectivity Requirements: Requires stable internet connectivity for accessing cloud-based data sources.

On-Premises Connection (via Gateway):
Advantages:
1. Data Privacy: On-premises connections offer enhanced data privacy as sensitive data remains within the organization's infrastructure.
2. Connectivity Options: Supports various connectivity options, including DirectQuery and Import mode, providing flexibility in data retrieval.
3. Hybrid Deployment: Allows organizations to maintain control over their data while leveraging the benefits of cloud-based analytics and visualization tools.

Disadvantages:
1. Gateway Configuration: Requires installation and configuration of an on-premises data gateway, which adds complexity to the setup.
2. Network Dependencies: Relies on network connectivity between the Power BI Service and the on-premises data source, which may introduce latency or connectivity issues.
3. Manual Refresh: In some cases, on-premises data sources may require manual refreshes, as opposed to automatic refreshes available for cloud-based data sources.

To enable a cloud connection for your data source, ensure that your data source supports cloud connectivity and that you have the necessary permissions to access it. Generally, cloud databases such as Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, and other cloud-based services offer native integration with Power BI Service without the need for an on-premises gateway.

If your data source does not support direct cloud connectivity, or if you prefer to keep your data on-premises for security or compliance reasons, you can continue using the on-premises gateway to establish a secure connection between your Power BI reports and your data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@dominicghr 

When publishing a Power BI report to the Power BI Service, the data connection can either be through a cloud-based data source or through an on-premises data source using a gateway. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each:

Cloud Connection:
Advantages:
1. Seamless Integration: Cloud connections offer seamless integration with Power BI Service without the need for additional configurations.
2. Data Security: Data is securely stored and managed within the cloud environment, providing robust security features.
3. Scalability: Cloud-based data sources offer scalability, allowing for easy scaling up or down based on data needs.
4. Automatic Refresh: Cloud-based data sources can be configured for automatic refresh in the Power BI Service, ensuring that the data is always up-to-date.

Disadvantages:
1. Data Privacy Concerns: Some organizations may have data privacy concerns about storing sensitive data in the cloud.
2. Connectivity Requirements: Requires stable internet connectivity for accessing cloud-based data sources.

On-Premises Connection (via Gateway):
Advantages:
1. Data Privacy: On-premises connections offer enhanced data privacy as sensitive data remains within the organization's infrastructure.
2. Connectivity Options: Supports various connectivity options, including DirectQuery and Import mode, providing flexibility in data retrieval.
3. Hybrid Deployment: Allows organizations to maintain control over their data while leveraging the benefits of cloud-based analytics and visualization tools.

Disadvantages:
1. Gateway Configuration: Requires installation and configuration of an on-premises data gateway, which adds complexity to the setup.
2. Network Dependencies: Relies on network connectivity between the Power BI Service and the on-premises data source, which may introduce latency or connectivity issues.
3. Manual Refresh: In some cases, on-premises data sources may require manual refreshes, as opposed to automatic refreshes available for cloud-based data sources.

To enable a cloud connection for your data source, ensure that your data source supports cloud connectivity and that you have the necessary permissions to access it. Generally, cloud databases such as Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, and other cloud-based services offer native integration with Power BI Service without the need for an on-premises gateway.

If your data source does not support direct cloud connectivity, or if you prefer to keep your data on-premises for security or compliance reasons, you can continue using the on-premises gateway to establish a secure connection between your Power BI reports and your data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors