Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Johnners
Frequent Visitor

Sort by another column error in calendar table

I have a really annoying error when trying to sort the MonthYear column by the MonthYearNum column.

Can anyone see an issue with what I've done? Do you get the same? Link is here:

Calendar Table Sort Issue 

Full error message 

Johnners_0-1714734577796.png

Johnners_1-1714734735148.png

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.TransactionCreationFailureException: Sorry, PowerPivot can’t save these changes back to the Data Model. ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.StorageException: The operation cannot be performed because another operation is in progress. Please wait for the other operation to complete and try again. ---> System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.TransactionGate.StartTransaction(SandboxTransaction activeTransaction, TransactionCancellability cancellability)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction.StartTransaction()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction..ctor(DataModelingSandbox inputSandbox, SandboxTransactionProperties properties)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransactionAmo..ctor(DataModelingSandboxAmo inputSandbox, SandboxTransactionProperties properties)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction.CreateInstance(DataModelingSandbox sandbox, SandboxTransactionProperties properties)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.CreateTransaction(SandboxTransactionProperties properties)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.CreateTransaction(SandboxTransactionProperties properties)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SortOrderByColumnData.CreateSortOrder(DataModelingColumn targetColumn, DataModelingColumn sourceColumn)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SortOrderDialog.btnCreate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Johnners ,

I can't open any onedrive files from external sources due to internal company security policies. So I can only give you some advice.

First I think you may ensure No Concurrent Operations. Make sure there are no other operations being performed on the Data Model at the same time. This includes data refreshes, calculations, or other sorts being applied. Wait for any such operations to complete before attempting to sort again.
If your Data Model is particularly large or complex, it might be taking longer to process operations. Consider optimizing your Data Model by removing unnecessary columns or rows, or by simplifying calculations.
And please ensure that there are no circular dependencies or complex relationships that might be causing the Data Model to lock up during operations. Simplify relationships if possible.
If none of the above suggestions solve the problem, sometimes, simply restarting the PowerPivot model or Excel can resolve issues related to stuck operations. The PowerPivot environment can be reset by closing the Excel workbook and reopening it.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Johnners ,

I can't open any onedrive files from external sources due to internal company security policies. So I can only give you some advice.

First I think you may ensure No Concurrent Operations. Make sure there are no other operations being performed on the Data Model at the same time. This includes data refreshes, calculations, or other sorts being applied. Wait for any such operations to complete before attempting to sort again.
If your Data Model is particularly large or complex, it might be taking longer to process operations. Consider optimizing your Data Model by removing unnecessary columns or rows, or by simplifying calculations.
And please ensure that there are no circular dependencies or complex relationships that might be causing the Data Model to lock up during operations. Simplify relationships if possible.
If none of the above suggestions solve the problem, sometimes, simply restarting the PowerPivot model or Excel can resolve issues related to stuck operations. The PowerPivot environment can be reset by closing the Excel workbook and reopening it.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors