Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HansVestman
Regular Visitor

Excel Power Query Editor --> New Source --> returns blank screen

In Excel --> Power Query Editor I want to select a new source. I can select any kind of new source, but I always get a semi-blank screen in return for any sources I might select (see picture below):

NewSource_ReturnsSemiBlankScreen.png

I have tried to reinstall Office. And. The problem was solved ... once. Then back to the same problem.

But. Excel-files that already is using Power Query tables works fine (which means I can use a colleages working Excel version to select a New Source...)

I run Windows 11,

and I use: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2404 Build 16.0.17531.20120) 64-bit

I have no retwork issues. Further: no problems selecting "New Sources" using Power Query Editor in Power BI Desktop.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Hans Vestman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HansVestman ,

1. Try updating the operating system and checking the system files:
Using System File Checker in Windows - Microsoft Support

2. Try the online repair program:

vcgaomsft_0-1715046952609.png

3. Please try disable the hardware graphic acceleration in the Excel > File > Options > Advanced > Display > Tick on the following option. If you maximize the Power Query window, will it display properly?

4. Try starting Excel in Safe Mode to see if any add-ins have made any changes to the Power Query interface.
Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HansVestman
Regular Visitor

Thanx a lot!

I found an add-in for Office 365 and was able to specifically disable it for Excel. It seems to do the trick (and of course the reason why the problem returned after online repair of Office 365)

Now I can report to the vendor of the add-in telling that it is faulty. At least regarding to Excel.

/Hans Vestman

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HansVestman ,

1. Try updating the operating system and checking the system files:
Using System File Checker in Windows - Microsoft Support

2. Try the online repair program:

vcgaomsft_0-1715046952609.png

3. Please try disable the hardware graphic acceleration in the Excel > File > Options > Advanced > Display > Tick on the following option. If you maximize the Power Query window, will it display properly?

4. Try starting Excel in Safe Mode to see if any add-ins have made any changes to the Power Query interface.
Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Support

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors