Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MrAtkinson
Frequent Visitor

Best way to calculate retention

Hi all, 

I have a list of data that will grow each month by two rows, the first will be the number of members in the database one the 1st of the month and the 2nd will be the number of member at the end of the month. This will be each month going forward and will give me a file that looks like this

MrAtkinson_1-1714748440199.png

I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to give me the a new column or file that will show me the retention rate for each month

I did try the following code but it just gave me a column with Null for some reason.

=if [[Month Name]] = "May" then [[#"[CountSubscription_Status]"]] - List.First(List.Skip([[#"[CountSubscription_Status]"]],1)) else null

Open to options/ideas. I need to then feed this into a power bi report/graph

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Kingsketch
Frequent Visitor

@MrAtkinson here is the simple way to calculate retention rate 
 firstly group by the month name then index 1 - index 0 

USE THIS 

= Table.Group(#"Promoted Headers", {
"Month Name"}, {{"Retention Rate", each [countSubscription_Status]{1} - [countSubscription_Status]{0}, Int64.Type}})

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @MrAtkinson, like this?

Result

dufoq3_0-1714759218044.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUNzDVNzIwMlHSUTI1NzFVitWJVjJGFQVSIFGQWjMMUWMDFFFjM6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Source.Name = _t, CountSubscription_Status = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Source.Name", type date}, {"CountSubscription_Status", Int64.Type}}, "sk-SK"),
    Ad_YearMonth = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "YearMonth", each Date.Year([Source.Name])*100 + Date.Month([Source.Name]), Int64.Type),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(Ad_YearMonth, {"YearMonth"}, {{"Retention Rate", each [CountSubscription_Status]{1} - [CountSubscription_Status]{0}, Int64.Type}})
in
    GroupedRows

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors