Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Harpreet1405_12
Helper II
Helper II

undefined

I  am working on  gathering the data from different departments that i need to put in a centralized database , the type of information may vary by department.  They have their data in excel. I am looking the best way where i should put my data so that if someone want to update  them or add new field etc it would be an easy job. Then i am able to create dashboards based on that data which would be circulated to department 

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

For small scale deployments you should consider using SharePoint as that data repository.

At sharepoint, do i have to create an excel spreadsheet...as i have to manually input all the data ...is there a better way to put the data on some other platform or excel is the only option

You can consider using SharePoint lists for smaller data amounts.

Should I create the tables in Excel spreadsheet , because in Power BI, sometime we have to transpose the data from rows to coloumn and it would give an error if there is any new field add in future. all the departments have their own different fields and the information they want to see could be different but the power Bi reports should be at one place , they just need to select the department name and it would give them all the information specifically to that department. If there is another best way of doing it then it would be great if you give your inputs 

Next level would be a datamart,  and the next level after that would be something akin to full blown Microsoft Fabric.  This very quickly becomes a question of funding and company strategy.

Yeah the matter here is that data is scattered and it is not organized at all. I am confused in gathering the data in tables may be in excel or create a database. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.