Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

edchuy
Advocate III
Advocate III

Disappointed with Dataflow Gen2

I have found that Dataflow Gen2 which uses Power Query doesn't work the same way that Power Query in Power BI and Microsoft Excel. It times out when previewing or refreshing if the query doesn't complete in 10 minutes. Query previews that don't take quite as long in Power BI seem to timeout pretty easily there.

Another issue I found is that Dataflow Gen2 that a column header title that has an added space character causes it to produce an error when publishing while it doesn't seem to mind it while previewing.

Needless to say. I am extremely disappointed in it and will have to a find another method to load the data into the lakehouse I created for the event.

2 REPLIES 2
alxdean
Advocate V
Advocate V

I believe there are many reasons to be upset with Dataflow Gen 2 (losing credentials, query limits, staging issues, mashup issues, deployment pipeline issues, lack of git integration, excessive use of CU to name a few), but spaces in column headers really should not be the straw breaking the camel's back! Keep in mind that your lakehouse will not allow for spaces in column names or table names. So you will need to address this with or without using Dataflows. 

It appears that Dataflow Gen2 was being worked on at the time I posted my problem. Since then, it has been working (mostly) as I would expect. Still, I ended making 3 of them to get around the issue. It turns out it was a good idea because that way I can refresh them independtly of each other.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors